If you are looking for alternative, natural solutions for joint pain relief, making changes to your diet is a good start. You just need to increase healthier foods that help reduce inflammation and avoid unhealthy choices that can aggravate inflammation. Here we list the foods to avoid and the foods you should enjoy for increased joint pain relief.
Limit These Foods for Joint Pain Relief
To help manage inflammation, you should avoid the following foods:
- Fried Foods: Fried foods are bad for you period. This cooking process uses cooking oils high in omega-6 fatty acids, which increase inflammation and joint pain.
- Saturated Fats: Saturated fats cause inflammation and are found in a variety of foods such as high-fat dairy products, fatty beef and lamb, and chicken skin. They are even worse when combined with sugar like ice cream, high-fat yogurts, and pudding.
- Processed Sugar: There is a good chance you are consuming processed sugar in many forms from soda to baked goods and processed foods to chocolate and fruit juices. This is a problem because sugar releases cytokines, a real culprit for triggering inflammation. When cutting sugar out of your diet, pay close attention to processed food packages that also contain corn syrup, maltose, sucrose, and fructose. As well, avoid sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose.
- Alcohol: To reduce inflammation, it is best to avoid alcohol altogether.
- Gluten: Gluten suppresses prostaglandin E3 that leads to deficiencies in omega-3, causing inflammation. It is not only found in white flour, but also in wheat, barley, and rye. Avoid processed foods, breads, pastas, and baked goods, which all are likely to contain gluten.
The more of these foods you cut out of your diet, the better the chance is for weight loss. Weight loss can also be an excellent solution for joint pain relief.
Eat More of These Foods
There are many foods that can help with joint pain relief including:
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish includes cold-water fish like salmon, sardines, and trout. Their high omega-3 fatty acid content is a natural anti-inflammatory. If you don’t eat fish, you can eat flax and chia seeds as well as organic soybeans instead.
- Turmeric and Ginger: These spices are also ancient medicines used as an anti-inflammatory as well as a preventative medicine for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Berries: An assortment of berries is the perfect snack as they contain vital antioxidants to naturally decrease inflammation.
- Organic Green Tea: Green tea has been used for centuries for its anti-inflammatory properties as well as its ability to change arthritis-related immune responses for joint pain relief.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil contains oleocanthal, a substance that works much like a natural nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: These vegetables include kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and more. They offer many benefits, including plenty of vitamins, a high source of fiber, and an important antioxidant called sulforaphane. Sulforaphane blocks enzymes that cause inflammation.
Following a healthy diet will help you maintain a healthy weight while also providing joint pain relief.
We offer many treatments for joint pain. For more information, contact our office today.